Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 95 11:15:15 CST
From:      Jim Babb <babb@sedhps01.mdc.com>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert) (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, babb@sedhps01.mdc.com, bde@zeta.org.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, j@uriah.sax.de
Subject:   Re: Colorado 250 Tape Drive

> > > I think the number of people with working tape drives far outnumber the
> > > number of people with broken floppy drives,  so the logic of the flag
> > > should be inverted, such that you set the flag to *disable* the probe.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> > I suggested this just a couple of days ago and got no comments back..
> > Unless somebody pipes up soon, I will indeed do this for 2.1
>
> I haven't heard the results since the floppy tape was moved to ft2; do
> people still get hangs?

The floppy tape has always been on drive 2 (even though it is device ft0)
(I should know - I put it there).
The hangs were most likely caused by the extra interrupt generated by
some controller chips during the write protect check (which is now fixed).

> Which is more important for install, a guaranteed working floppy, or a
> conveniently already working floppy tape?

You can have both (and we do) - it's just a matter of which one to make the
default.  In the case of a broken drive that gets upset by the tape probe,
boot with -c and set the fdc flag so the tape probe gets skipped.
The benefit - no more questions: "Why doesn't my tape work any more?".

Jim