Date:      Mon, 09 Oct 2000 01:04:01 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>, rb@gid.co.uk, keichii@peorth.iteration.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recent kernels won't boot

Mike Smith wrote:
> > > That was it. Is the 4MB kernel size limit documented anywhere?
> >
> > I don't know :-)   I luckily noticed this by a lot of trials.
>
> I'm not aware of any 4MB limit on kernel size (and I ought to be if there
> is one 8).  Can you run the details past me?  (I've regularly booted much
> larger kernels in the past...)

Uhh, are you sure?  Ignore the size of the file, what does 'size(1)' say
about these large kernels?  Does text+data+bss excede 4MB?  I have a
nagging suspicion that we only set up 4MB of page tables during the early
part of the bootstrap process in locore.s.  (forgive me for not looking,
I have a most evil headache and locore.s is no way to improve it :-).
Thinking about it some more, there may be a 3MB limit as we load above
1MB.  I recall some heavy magic with the SMP bootstrap where we only use one
PTD slot for 0-4MB in early boot....

Cheers,
-Peter