Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 10:04:46 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@mcs.net>
To:        dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, Pierre Beyssac <Pierre.Beyssac@hsc.fr>
Subject:   Re: MMAP problems

On Mon, Jul 27, 1998 at 04:00:55PM +0000, Duncan Barclay wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 25, 1998 at 03:51:48PM -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:
> > > I believe I have found a rather serious MMAP problem in -CURRENT.
> > >
> > > Diablo (the news system) is the test case; with MMAP enabled it will randomly
> > > write exactly one block (512 bytes) of zeros into the article spool files
> > > rather than the proper data - its almost like an update via MMAP isn't
> >
> > I have seen an extremely similar problem, both on 2.2.6 and
> > -current, with INN 2.0 configured to use MMAP for the active file.
> > It is fairly easy to reproduce by doing a "ctlinnd newgroup". After
> > that, a bunch of zeroes appears in the active file.
> >
> > I haven't bothered investigating the problem for lack of time
> > because configuring INN to use read() just works and because I
> > wasn't sure it was a FreeBSD problem, but I'm ready to do any
> > testing I can to help fix this.
> > --
>
> Ditto same problem with inn on -2.2.5, and inn 1.5.2.
> I seem to remember that this was documented in the inn instructions?
>
> Duncan

Sigh....  This one is pretty important folks; we need to get some attention
focused on this since it appears to cut across all the various releases
out there right now.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV