Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2000 21:40:53 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   FrontPage server publishing

Hi all,

Mailing list archive search appears to be down at the moment, so I
apologize if this is a repeat:

I've been fighting with the FrontPage extensions for a while (installed
from the apache13-fp port under FreeBSD 3.4).  I've created a virtual
host, an account on the system, and I "Installed" (option 1) the FrontPage
extensions to the virtual server using fpsrvadm.exe, and the process
completed.  The target directory now contains all the _vti_* directories,
.htaccess, etc.  I can browse pages on the virtual host from anywhere,
but:

a) Some FrontPage components do not work (hit counter, marquee, etc)
b) When I try to publish a site, Microsoft FrontPage (NT) reports:

  The server sent a response which FrontPage could not parse.  If you are
  trying to connect to a FrontPage server, check with the server's
  administrator to make sure the FrontPage server extensions are
  installed properly.

At the same time, the httpd process that fielded the request dies with a
sig 11, and nothing appears in the Apache error log except a notice of the
sig 11.  So, I bet the server is probably confounded by the request, dies,
and, as a result, only a partial or empty response is sent to the client,
which explains the error message, above.

Has anyone else witnessed this?  Solutions?

Thanks!

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2