Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 09:20:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/41104: Stale comment removal from pccardd(8)

The following reply was made to PR docs/41104; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To: hiten@angelica.unixdaemons.com
Cc: jhb@FreeBSD.org, hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org,
	FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 10:15:48 -0600 (MDT)

 In message: <20020729121121.A24715@angelica.unixdaemons.com>
             Hiten Pandya <hiten@angelica.unixdaemons.com> writes:
 : On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 09:03:26AM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote the words in effect of:
 : > In message: <XFMail.20020729081434.jhb@FreeBSD.org>
 : >             John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> writes:
 : > : Unfortunately using KLD's does not fix this problem and it is still an
 : > : issue.  I can't eject my cardbus rl0 card w/o my laptop locking up for
 : > : exactly this reason.  This patch should not be committed unless Warner
 : > : (imp@, cc'd) approves.
 : >
 : > Yes, the comments in the pccardd man page are correct (eg, that's why
 : > things are they way they are).  However, once the underlying problems
 : > in the kernel were fixed, pccardd wasn't updated to be less smart
 : > about the resources a card uses.  Likely it should read:
 : >
 : > 	The primary reasons are historical.
 :
 : Ok.  When I submitted the PR, and after a while, Greg Lehey, first asked
 : me, "I removed the explanation, but not the claim".  Although, we now
 : already have the so-called "loadable kernel modules", so I think, we
 : would need to move the paragraph down, to an "ISSUES" section, and there
 : it can be marked as "historical".  Is that permitted?

 Maybe.  Assign the PR to me and I'll take a look at how to better
 document things.

 : > What happens in NEWCARD with a rl card aren't relevant to this
 : > discussion :-) The reason that you can't eject the rl0 card has to do
 : > with something else (likely an ISR that doesn't properly terminate
 : > when the card is gone or a detach routine that's minorly bogus).
 :
 : Does this issue happen with all NEWCARD (network) devices?

 It should happen with none.  It does happen with drivers that are
 imporperly written, or assume that their hardware can never go away.

 Warner