Date:      Sat, 12 Jul 1997 20:38:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        jonahkuo@mail.ttn.com.tw, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My opinion about freebsd (fwd)

On Sat, 12 Jul 1997, Annelise Anderson wrote:

> 	I'm pretty close here to talking myself into a position about
> which I'm not really enthusiastic--that to run FreeBSD you need to
> acquire a good deal of the knowledge of a unix professional (including
> some knowledge of C) and that my hypothetical dissident in the provinces
> isn't going to make it.

There is nothing wrong needing to know about something in order
to make it work.  Consider that in order to make even a simple
flower garden grow well, one must be able to describe, in general
terms, how and why a plant grows.  For almost any activity, one
must have a general idea of what is happening, in order to make
it work _consistently_ and _well_ (phones being the only
exception I've though of so far).

Before we judge this base amount of knowledge that one needs, let
us keep in mind that most people will be using their computers
every day for most of their life.

I think certain things, such as shell-scripting, can be expected
to be learnt.  The grade 11 general computers course at my
school, whose purpose is not to create programmers,
computer-wizards, or anything else particularly technical except
for making students who are "comfortable working with
[computers]", includes a section on Basic programming.  If the
MS world can expect people to learn Basic, then I don't think
it's unreasonable to expect people to learn some C or sh.

Now, I think it is important to distinguish between the knowledge
needed to run and maintain a computer over the long-term, and the
amount of work (and/or knowledge) needed to simply setup one's
computer and perform basic tasks.  Again, an analogy.  To
initially use a fridge, it is not necessary to know how it makes
itself cool inside.  That knowledge only becomes necessary over a
longer period of time (you may be questioning why one would need
to know it at all (a reasonable question).  Suppose your
air-conditioner broke-down.  Because of you understanding of how
your fridge works, you will be smart enough _not_ to leave the
fridge-door open and hope that cools the house instead).

I'm not so fool as to argue that these two different things
(setup difficulty and longterm working knowledge) can be
completely separated, but I would suggest they a basis for at
least _some_ differentiation. I think you were trying to address
both in your message.

Setup should be simple.  Working knowledge should be taught; not
be eliminated.

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk