Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 15:48:03 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Dale E. Chulhan" <dchulhan@uwi.tt>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best NIC / Best CDR-CDRW

At 12:41 PM 4/18/2000 , Dale E. Chulhan wrote:

>Hello I'm opening my self for suggestions on recommendations for the following
>for use on my bsd machine:
>
>1) a cdr/cdrw
>2) a NIC
>
>Can you also indicate the lowest release that supports your recommendation if
>possible.
>
>The following is a brief exchange between me and a counter part, what is your
>suggestion?
>
>He said:
>========
>forget the expenive rubbish 3Com makes- they don't work well under windows and
>barely works under linux...
>
>your best bet is the the generic NE2000 cards, you kno the cheap  ones for
>$125.00 (TT) you get the full 10MB per second out of them-  also you can get a
>cheap 8 port hub for about $400.00 (TT)
>
>I countered:
>============
>1) Get Intel / 3Com if money's no objective "They're just as bad as cisco
>routers"

Actually, the Intel EtherExpress Pro series is quite good and not expensive.

>2) Get either Realtek or DEC Tulip

The DEC Tulip is discontinued. As for Realtek: their NE2000 clone is passable
(I have one and it works OK) but avoid the ones with their own architecture
(the 8139 and kin). It has the classic mbuf boundary problem, so that even
though it does bus mastering it requires memory-to-memory copies within
the driver.

As for CD-Rs: Yamaha is the best performer. Plextor is a bit less expensive
and is more rugged.

--Brett Glass