Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 2002 18:15:12 -0500
From:      Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        Simon <simon@optinet.com>, Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>, "freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: network backup

"Ang utong ko ay sasabog sa sarap!" exclaimed Chris Dillon
while reading this message on Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 13:28
and then responded with:

> On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Simon wrote:

> > I don't *just* want to make a backup. I want to back it up using an
> > efficient method because I'm dealing with terabytes of data. I can't
> > just back so much data daily over network and compress it. I have to
> > do incremental backups and compression on the fly is a must to save
> > disk space.

> It sounds like you're really looking for a commercial tool like
> Veritas NetBackup.  The server part of NetBackup won't run on FreeBSD
> (maybe the Linux version would run under the Linuxulator), but they do
> have a FreeBSD-native backup agent.  The server can run on many
> differerent Unix platforms, as well as Windows and Linux.

> I'm not sure which other commercial backup tools out there have
> FreeBSD-native backup agents, but I know there are at least a couple
> of others that do.

I have a 'supertar' that runs on BSD - called LoneTar.  It's an
enhanced tar and you can backup to remote devices. What I like for
local backups is that it rewinds the tape and does a bit level
compare of the tape with the disk and then emails me a copy.

I have a site in DC that mails to the local people, the guy who
sold them the system [he's in Atlanta] and a copy to me, here in
Florida.  That way I'll always see it and let the guy in Atlanta
know about it, even if the DC folks don't see it.

I had it on several client's machines on SCO in the past.

But it's not like a network backup but works for single machines
backing up to far files or devices.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com