Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 2002 18:52:11 -0600
From:      "John Nielsen" <stable@jnielsen.net>
To:        "Brossin Pierrick" <pbrossin@wxp.homeip.net>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Server and Gateway

This belongs on -questions, not -stable.  Anyway, read on.

Brossin Pierrick <pbrossin@wxp.homeip.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know if you guys know SME (www.e-smith.org).
> If not, it's a RedHat/Linux distro that does server and gateway (with
> firewall mail http .....)
> I'd like to the same with FreeBSD for my local network.

No problem there.

> I read those two howtos:
>
> http://www.schlacter.net:8500/public/FreeBSD-STABLE_and_IPFILTER.html
> http://www.muine.org/~hoang/freenat.html
>
> I'm a little bit confused now.. :/

Neither of those howtos deal with using ppp (which you will need to use if
your DSL modem doesn't do PPPoE for you).  Follow the handbook (and read
some man pages) to get your basic connection working, and then worry about a
firewall and NAT.  Since those howtos don't deal with ppp, they also won't
tell you that FreeBSD's ppp software has NAT functionality built-in.
Depending on what you need/want, you may just want to use that.  Or you can
disable it and use ipnat/ipfilter (or natd and ipfw).

See also:
man 8 ppp (long, but worth the read)
man 4 ng_pppoe (for background--ppp should do most of the netgraph stuff
automagically)
chapter 16 of the handbook (you've looked at 16.4, but there's some basic
stuff about ppp in there as well)

For firewalling and other NAT options:
man 8 natd
man 8 ipfw
sections 10.7 and 17.11 of the handbook
man 1 ipnat
man 8 ipf

You probably only need/want one of either ipfw/natd or ipfilter/ipnat.  They
are basically two different implementations of the same functionality.  You
may like one better than the other.

There are some good howto's out there, but (as you've discovered) they may
be dated or incomplete for some setups.  Use the freebsd-questions mailing
list for further questions (or the comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc newsgroup is a
good resource as well).  Also use google groups to search both of those
archives.

> I'd like/need (for the beginning) at least (I think) a firewall, adsl
> connection (pppoe) and NAT..
> I read the handbook:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/pppoe.html
> But it's telling :
>
> Add the following to your /etc/rc.conf file:
>
>     ppp_enable="YES"
>     ppp_mode="ddial"
>     ppp_nat="YES"   # if you want to enable nat for your local network,
> otherwise NO
>     ppp_profile="name_of_service_provider"
>
> So why are the two other howtos treating (as I understand) ip masquerading
> with IPFilter.
>
> As you may see, I'm really confused with IPFilter NAT IP Masquerading ....
> Can someone take the time to explain or give the url of a page please.. I
> can't find any ?

HTH,

JN