Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 1997 16:33:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
To:        iap@vma.cc.nd.edu
Cc:        linuxisp@lightning.com, linuxisp@jeffnet.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, os2-isp@dental.stat.com, apple-internet-providers@solutions.apple.com
Subject:   ISPCON 97 - Aug 20-23rd - San Francisco (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 14:33:24 -0700
From: Jack Rickard <jack.rickard@boardwatch.com>
To: inet-access@earth.com
Subject: ISPCON 97 - Aug 20-23rd - San Francisco

SUMMARY:  ISPCON 97 - August 20-23rd, 1997, San Francisco Hilton, More at
http://www.ispcon.com.

I will rave for a page or two, but the summary line has all the facts.

A number of you have been inquiring about our plans for a 1997 Internet
Service Provider Convention (ISPCON).  As it is late February, we should
probably be a little further along than we are.

In any event, we have committed to doing ISPCON again for 1997.  We had
3042 total attendees to the 1996 show in San Francisco - 946 Internet
Service Providers among them.  Slightly under a thousand were exhibit only
attendees of not very specific vintage.  And we had 104 vendors exhibiting
in Moscone.

This year, as a result of some well founded if perhaps a bit loud comments
regarding the separation of the exhibits and the sessions, we have pulled
it all under one roof at the San Francisco Hilton and Towers Hotel, San
Francisco, California.  The exhibit setup will begin Wednesday, August
20th, with the traditional welcoming reception held that evening.  The show
will go through Saturday, August 23rd, with a closing banquet that evening.

We had a lot of interest from some of the larger vendors in being show
sponsors for the event.  We need a couple of weeks to round up the truly
interested from those that said they were, so the promotional efforts will
lag a week or so.  Cisco has already signed on and I understand a couple of
our guys are meeting with Ascend this morning.  Others who had expressed an
interest in becoming essentially co-sponsors of the show:

US Robotics
Microsoft
DEC
Cascade
Compaq
IBM
Bay Networks
Shiva

We should have this element of who is sponsoring the show finalized in
about three weeks.  The web site is mostly wreckage from last year at this
point. http://www.ispcon.com.  But we do have it set up to take
registrations, and should be able to improve it a bit within the next week
or so.  Those interested in exhibiting can call Bob Holley at 800-933-6038.

We're also issuing a call for papers for those who would like to present in
the educational session schedule.  As many of you know, we did over 120
sessions last year with very little in the way of the feel-good pap you may
be accustomed to at most of these trade show events.  We don't do "Internet
is Cool" stuff.  But if you have a concept for a solid technical session,
or something productive on legal, business, or economic issues facing
ISP's, we're all ears now and it gets very difficult to work in during the
last week of July when it will probably finally occur to you.  Papers
should include a summary of the session, a bio paragraph on the speaker,
full speaker contact information, and if possible a photo suitable for
publication.

Address session proposals to ISPCON Session Schedule, Boardwatch Magazine,
8500 West Bowles Ave., Suite 210, Littleton, CO 80123.

Jack Rickard
Boardwatch Magazine