Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 1999 19:12:06 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Kurt Jaeger" <pi@complx.LF.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Modifying MAXLOGNAME ?

Hi!

> >Anyone ever changed
> >
> >MAXLOGNAME/UT_NAMESIZE

> >I want to increase this. Maybe to, say, 64 chars instead of 16.

> I don't know why you would want such a high number however,
> if you're serious about this first get the full souces I would suggest
> CVSUP to make sure everthing is up to date including the ports collection.

>  - Install your fresh system, including all the sources.
>  - Edit the value of UT_NAMESIZE in /usr/src/include/utmp.h to 64 (or
>    whatever you want)
>  - Edit the value of MAXLOGNAME in /usr/src/sys/sys/param.h to one
>    greater than the value you gave UT_NAMESIZE (eg. 65)

Done. Works OK with 64/65, as of now, on a demo system.

> Remake the world and your kernel.  Note that there are a lot of ports
> that use the UT_NAMESIZE parameter, eg. the POP server.  You *must*
> rebuild them on this machine for them to work properly. (ie. you cannot
> install packages, or ports that were built on another system).

OK, no problem with that. But now the other way around:

If I compiled a application on that kind of mangled system
and copied it to a "short-user" system -- assuming that the usernames
on the "short-user" system are short-only-ones: Would these
applications still work ?

I booted the modified system, but with the old
kernel and it still worked.

I'll think this over.

--
MfG/Best regards, Kurt Jaeger                                  21 years to go !
LF.net GmbH        pi@LF.net            Oberon.net GmbH   pi@oberon.net