Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 09:27:16 +0900 (JST)
From:      Arizona Coyote <coyote@ratbert.aisol.net>
To:        Don Wallwork <don.wallwork@stelhq.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3Com Etherlink III 3C589D PCMCIA Card

Hi,

According to the compatibility docs somewhere on www.freebsd.org, you will
find that the D revision of the 3c589 is not supported by 2.2.2.  However,
it *is* supported by 3.0.  I have a Thinkpad with the 3C589D and I was
able to install 3.0 without nay problems.  The boot disk recognized my
ethernet card and I installed it over the 'Net.  According to the FreeBSD
docs, the D-revision had major changes which required a different driver.
BTW, the driver, if it works, will be zp0.

Note, that with 3.0 you do not need the PAO patches to get the card to
work.  Also, as a FreeBSD/laptop user, you might want to subscribe to
freebsd-mobile.  It gets less traffic than freebsd-questions, and most of
the information is relevant to laptops users.

Mark

On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, Don Wallwork wrote:

> Trying to get my 3C859D card up and running, but I can't seem to
> get it going.
>
> System info:
> 	NEC Versa 2635CD Notebook
> 	Pentium 133
> 	16M RAM
> 	FreeBSD Version 2.2.2
>
> PCMCIA info:
> 	3Com Etherlink III 3C589D
> 	IRQ 10
> 	Driver: ep0
>
> I have been through the FAQ's & mailing list archives for FreeBSD &
> PAO, installed the PAO patch, but so far nothing has worked.
>
> The following items were checked:
> 	The pccardd daemon correctly recognizes insertion and
> 	removal of the card. (No problems w/ IRQ allocation)
>
> 	Ifconfig shows the correct settings for the PC.
>
> 	Netstat -rn shows the correct routing table entries.
>
> 	Tcpdump is able to see network traffic, but when you
> 	exit tcpdump, it reports that about 1/3 of the packets
> 	were dropped by the kernel.
>
> The problem is that you can't contact another host.  e.g.: Ping to a
> remote machine fails.  (About 1 in 300000 packets get a response.)
>
> Any suggestions?  I could definitely get another card if that is the
> problem, but I want to make sure that the card that I switch to will
> work.  Are there any preferred cards?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Don Wallwork
> Stanford Telecom
> Sunnyvale, CA

Mark Andres               E-mail: coyote@ratbert.aisol.net
  / 100% Microsoft Free thanks to NetBSD and FreeBSD! \
         Mac Centris 650: NetBSD 1.2-current
        IBM ThinkPad 220: FreeBSD 3.0-current
Macintosh IIcx: NetBSD 1.2.1 | http://bullwinkle.aisol.net/