Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 2021 11:40:44 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Brandon Bergren <bdragon@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Heat-death of the last of the 2-socket/2-cores-each PowerMac G5s that I have access to

On 2021-Jan-13, at 11:00, Brandon Bergren <bdragon at FreeBSD.org> =
wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2021, at 2:54 PM, Mark Millard via freebsd-ppc wrote:
>> WARNING: Device "openfirm" is Giant locked and may be deleted before=20=

>> FreeBSD 13.0.
>=20
> I am planning on getting around to this one at some point.

Good to know.

>> WARNING: Device "kbd" is Giant locked and may be deleted before =
FreeBSD=20
>> 13.0.
>=20
> This one isn't just powerpc, I don't believe.

Okay. I do not remember seeing the notice for the amd64, aaarch64, or =
armv7
example systems that I have access to. (But I've not rechecked to =
confirm.)

>> I've not seen any evidence that anyone intends to work on
>> avoiding those uses of the Giant lock. There is also, on some
>> G4's that I have access to,
>>=20
>> WARNING: Device "agp" is Giant locked and may be deleted before =
FreeBSD=20
>> 13.0.
>=20
> There is some pressure to remove AGP entirely and rely on PCI mappings =
instead (which are slower IIRC but may possibly still have decent =
performance with modern object management techniques that the drivers =
have. Will need testing.)
>=20
> AGP is kind of a weird case because of what it is and how it works, =
and how it interacts with everything else.

Interesting.

>> WARNING: Device "consolectl" is Giant locked and may be deleted =
before=20
>> FreeBSD 13.0.
>=20
> Might need to migrate some bits over to vt at some point.
>=20

FYI for vt vs sc:

My memory is that the 2-socket/1-core-each G5 that I have access
to dies a very early boot-failure for vt and I have to use sc on
it. (It is possible I've got things backwards. I've not validated
the status in some time, using things just in the working form.)

As I remember there used to be some other G5/video card combination
were I also had the reverse for what failed vs what worked, although
the boot-failure details were different if I remember right. (Much
larger pixel-count display involved in the boot-failure case?)

Given the slush and the scheduled stable/13 branch in a little over
a week, I did not know if Giant dependency was a "support stops
here" type of issue for 13 or not.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com