Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 2003 20:29:39 -0800
From:      John Carri <jgcarri@pasadena.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        jgcarri@pasadena.edu
Subject:   CVSup never finishes

Hi all,
    I'm running FreeBSD 4.7 on my Athlon XP 1700 desktop at work. I'm=20
definitely a newbie, but I've read through Dru Lavigne's tutorials at=20
OnLamp.com=20
( http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/09/05/FreeBSD_Basics.html )
and with these for a guide I've used CVSup successfully a few times (and =
also=20
discovered the joys of compiling a custom kernel and of the "portupgrade"=
=20
utility).=20

After FreeBSD 5.0 was released, though, CVSup no longer terminates but go=
es on=20
and on and on for days on end with "inactivity timeout" and "will retry"=20
messages every 90 minutes or so. I have a pretty fast network connection =
to=20
the internet, about 250 kB/S on a good day. I have made no changes to my=20
cvs-supfile, still using RELENG_4 as before.  Here's a snippet of output =
from=20
running cvsup -g -L2 ~/cvs-supfile :
-----------------------output from neverending cvsup---------------------=
--
Connecting to cvsup14.FreeBSD.org
Connected to cvsup14.FreeBSD.org
Connecting to cvsup14.FreeBSD.org
Connected to cvsup14.FreeBSD.org
Server software version: SNAP_16_1e
Negotiating file attribute support
Exchanging collection information
Establishing multiplexed-mode data connection
Running
Cleaning up ...
Inactivity timeout
Will retry at 21:14:14
and so on and so on and so on....

Here's my cvs-supfile:
------------------------cvs-supfile---------------------
FreeBSD_box# cat cvs-supfile
*default host=3Dcvsup14.FreeBSD.org
*default base=3D/usr/local/etc/cvsup
*default prefix=3D/usr
*default tag=3DRELENG_4
*default release=3Dcvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
src-all
ports-all tag=3D.
doc-all
FreeBSD_box#

Anyone have any suggestions? Why has a perfectly functioning cvsup proces=
s=20
suddenly started failing with no changes whatsoever to the cvs-supfile?

TIA,
-John Carri