Date:      Sat, 3 Apr 1999 19:06:36 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dpilgrim@uswest.net>, Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        George Halek <bsdlist@cr343877-a.wlfdle1.on.wave.home.com>, newbies@FreeBSD.ORG

On Saturday,  3 April 1999 at  1:17:37 -0800, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
> Sue Blake wrote:
>> If you are able and willing to answer support questions, your interest
>> in newbies will be most valuable in freebsd-questions. We need more
>> newbies to be seen asking questions there and to be seen getting
>> answers, since it is supposed to support the _whole_ user community.
>
> I do answer questions in -questions, and I often answer the ones that
> no one else seems willing to answer because they're considered "stupid
> newbie questions" by people who seem to have forgotten what it's like
> to be a newbie.

This is an assumption on your part.  More likely they don't know the
answer, or they assume that somebody else will answer.

> My day job involves helping people solve problems and find answers
> and every day I hear them ask me what I used to ask, see them have
> trouble with things I used to worry over.  I see myself in them and
> for that reason I take the time to help them.  I just wish the
> tribal elders would clue into the fact that they're denying others
> the things that they take for granted.

I'm not sure I understand who you're referring to here.  Care to
explain?  Certainly the "tribal elders", whoever they may be, are not
denying people anything.  If you're referring to Sue, she's doing a
good job in trying to differentiate between a mailing list for newbies
to discuss their attitude to FreeBSD (newbies) and a mailing list for
newbies (and everybody else) to ask moderately technical questions
(-questions).  As part of the bargain, those who regularly answer
questions in -questions have agreed not to answer questions in
-newbies.  This is all in the charter, and it has the benefit that the
lurkers in -questions get to see the answers.  It also helps ensure
that people don't get too many wrong answers.

>> If you feel sufficiently familiar with the list charters to gently guide
>> newbies to the appropriate use of the lists, don't let anyone make you
>> feel bad because of _their_ misunderstandings.
>
> But I'm human, not a sterile man page or a printed manual, it hurts
> everytime I get shot down for trying to help out.

Nobody's shooting you down for helping out.  You said yourself that
you answer questions in -questions, and that's the right thing to do.
The only thing that Sue was asking you to do was to adhere to the
conventions.

Greg