Date:      Wed, 2 Apr 2008 21:20:26 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>
To:        Kian Mohageri <kian.mohageri@gmail.com>
Cc:        Diego Salvador <salvador_d13@yahoo.com.ph>, fox@verio.net, freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PF and State Table

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 09:17:07PM -0700, Kian Mohageri wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Mark Pagulayan
> <m.pagulayan@auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  What pf version are you using? Correct me if I am wrong guys, on PF4.1
> >  which a the release version of pf on freebsd 7.0 when you specify keep
> >  state the flag S/A is implied?
> >

> Correct, and if you leave out 'keep state' entirely, it will apply
> 'flags S/SA keep state'
>
> e.g.,
>
> kian@alvis:~
> > cat pf.conf
> pass on em0
>
> kian@alvis:~
> > pfctl -vnf pf.conf
> pass on em0 all flags S/SA keep state

I'd like to know what exactly happens to UDP and ICMP packets when
hitting that rule, since UDP and ICMP don't have such flags.  The
documentation doesn't really discuss what happens in this case.

This is why I solicit having 3 separate rules for each protocol (TCP =
flags S/SA keep state, UDP = keep state, ICMP = keep state).