Date:      Thu, 01 Oct 1998 20:09:54 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        "Morgan Davis" <mdavis@cts.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: KERNEL PANICS in 2.2.7-RELEASE server

At 03:24 PM 10/1/98 -0700, Morgan Davis wrote:
>The machine is a Pentium II 266MHz with 256MB RAM, and pumps out 2.5 MB/s
>(that's mega_bytes_) via an Intel EtherExpress in 100BaseT mode.  This

As someone who has been playing with PIIs and fxp nics over the last couple
of days, I have found a few things that *might* help.  On the ASUS MBs
(both LX and BX) that I was setting up I found that the Intel card on both
NT and FreeBSD would work very poorly depending on which PCI slot it was
in.  If the card was in the first slot (the one next to the AGP), on NT I
would see all sorts of dropped packets and ethernet errors. It really
manifested itself on NT with PCAnywhere losing its connection every 2
min...  On FreeBSD, very poor network performance even when on a straight
cross over cable to another box.  I think it has something to do with lack
of busmastering on all PCI slots.  It might be a long shot for you, but try
putting the card in the middle of the BUS, and give it a decent IRQ (e.g. 5
or 10) thats not shared with other devices.  On the LX chipset, the last 2
PCI slots share IRQs which I imagine would hinder performance.  Also, with
256MB of RAM, make sure you disable the speculative reads in the BIOS....

As for kernel configs, build a customer kernel at least... Get rid of what
you dont need and yes, upgrade to stable.  I have a few boxes that
regularly push > 5Mb on a 5min average (yes, just bits), but they perform
quite well...

	---Mike