Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 1997 16:45:26 +0100 (MET)
From:      robsch@robkaos.ruhr.de (Robert Schien)
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Which PPro board?

In the next few weeks I will buy a new motherboard. At the
moment I have a 486DX50 which is somewhat slow. Because I
probably will do lots of number crunching I think that
an PPro-200 is the right choice. Another reason is
good 'worldstone' bench :-)
But what motherboard should I buy? Asus? Tyan?
Does anyone know something about Chaintech?
Is it correct that on non-ASUS boards I need a SCSI host
adapter with BIOS if I want to boot from the SCSI drive?
I ask this because the HA of my choice is some kind of NCR adapter.
and most of these beasts you can buy in a usual PC shop are without BIOS.

Is there anything special to note concerning the CPU? It may be that
I will use the CPU in a Dual-PPro board later. Are there CPUs which
are not able to smp? The CPU is a PPro 200 (256k).

TIA
Robert