Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 03:21:50 -0800
From:      "wsimpson Last Name" <wsimpson@my-deja.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   backspace and delete in X

I have been setting up a FreeBSD 4.2 machine. I was disappointed to learn my version of FreeBSD is in the same position as Linux distributions ca 1998 when it comes to backspace and delete keys under X.  Back then under Linux it was necessary to go through some contortions to get backspace and delete keys to work properly (backspace removes character to left, delete removes character under the cursor) under X. The procedure was well described here:
www.ibbnet.nl/~anne/keyboard.html
(this page is not working now but a copy is here:
http://aterm.sourceforge.net/keyboard.html)

With recent Linux distributions the backspace and delete keys work properly under X by default. I hope that the FreeBSD guys will fix this up too.

Meanwhile, any suggestions about "best" way to get backspace and delete working under X? (Else I will just follow Anne's procedure)

Thanks for any help.

Bill Simpson