Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 1997 20:39:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@www2.shoppersnet.com>
To:        Mike Burgett <mburgett@cmnsens.zoom.com>
Cc:        "hardware@freebsd.org" <hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: K6 - New results..

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, Mike Burgett wrote:

> Ok, I got my replacement K6-200 yesterday, after the distributor tried to say
> there was nothing wrong with the old chip (because they couldn't make it fail
> running windoze for a couple of hours... :(
>
> So far, the chip is performing flawlessly.  I've run 10 full 'make worlds' in
> the last 24 hours (takes about 2 hours, with a 20 minute pause between them),
> and all have completed perfectly, without any sign of the errors I was seeing
> before.
>
> The original chip contained the manufacturing code:
>
> 9716CJD
>
> And noted the voltage as 2.9
>
> The replacement contains the manufacturing code:
>
> B 9731FPAW
>
> And notes the voltage as 2.9 core/3.3 I/O
>
> Significant? Dunno, just trying to fill in blanks. :)

I think currently all the K6's are Rev B.  I don't know for sure, but my
guess is that the 2 digits after the 97 are the week number... So this new
one is a July chip I think.  The previous was probably the first batch
(near the end of March and beginning of April) if I have the code right.
AMD has been playing around with the markings so I guess they are still
changing the markings.  I think Rev A was the engineering sample batch
that was sent to MB companies.

I am still suspicious about the MB though, but let us know how it goes.
Was this the 3rd MB?  Or a new one?  I think you say it is 4months old...