Date:      Sun, 24 Oct 2004 19:32:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Hummers <phummers@iname.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RedHat: Buffer Overflow in "ls" and "mkdir"

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004, RedHat Security Team wrote:
>    Redhat found a vulnerability in fileutils (ls and mkdir), that could
>    allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code with root
>    privileges. Some of the affected linux distributions include RedHat
>    7.2, RedHat 7.3, RedHat 8.0, RedHat 9.0, Fedora CORE 1, Fedora CORE 2
>    and not only. It is known that *BSD and Solaris platforms are NOT
>    affected.

Wow! What is probably the most-used Un*x CLI command? I have in the past
tried here and there a spot of Linux, from Debian to RedHat, one extreme
to the other, chasing the spectre of `popular' software and assimilation.

Then I learn my lesson again, and get on this FreeBSD notebook, I feel I'm
home again, with the one true OS, rational and ... intuitive! How much
cruft there is in so many Linuces! How tiring it is to try to circumvent
the automatic Gnome or KDE installs and deal with the results, and to try
to keep in mind the differences between Linux distros!

But a shadow still falls on my computing experience when I try to tell
civilians how I avoid Microsoft without a Macintosh. "Uh, well, it's
_like_ Linux, but ... well, it's Unix." "Eunuchs!!? O-kay, well, see ya
later..."

-Peter Hummers
==
"You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face
reality. Wrong is wrong no matter who does it or who says it." -Malcolm X