Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 15:35:52 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to select media for PCMIA combo network card?

> > Gotcha.  So much notebook stuff is W96-dependant that I tend to
> > leave at least a minimal W95 partition on the disk.  Call me a
> > traitor.
>
> Ugh.  Understand, this thing came pre-installed and there's no CDROM
> drive (not to mention no W95 CDROM).  There is a procedure for
> writing a 29-disk set of floppies, though. :-(

Yeah.  That's "standard" apparently.  You appear to think about as much
of it as I do.  8)

> Will fips work for W95?

Yup, worked here just fine.

> > > drivers.  I guess I have to do the Windows 95 setup for it first.
> > > I was trying to avoid that because it's a 12-step process that
> > > took them two pages to describe.
> >
> > Shit.  What a mess.
>
> Yes, well of course I tried it and on step 11 it utterly failed to
> do anything remotely resembling what the instructions said would
> happen at that point, leaving the drivers half-installed.

Even better.

> Get this, though:  I was at least able to run the card's diagnostics at
> that point, and afterwards I booted up the PAO floppy again and did
> the ifconfig.  Now the thing _does_ respond to pings.

OK.  But once it's been powered down it doesn't talk anymore?

> I am thinking that the easiest solution might be to buy a hub that has
> a BNC connector on it to tie into my existing network, and then just
> use the 10baseT interface on the card.  There's no way I'm going to
> put up with booting W95 just to set the media every time.  The LinkSys
> card plus a cheap hub is still probably less expensive than a 3c589.

Probably.  I'm kinda disgusted that they don't do automatic media
selection; we all know it's possible.

mike