Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 1997 00:31:52 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu
Cc:        molter@logic.it, adrian@obiwan.psinet.net.au, vas@vas.tomsk.su, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: To UNIX or not to UNIX ;-). Was: PPP problems.

> Why not?  The reason I wrote up the profile was as the basis of a
> plan.  The reason I asked for refinements is so that the plan can be
> better.  If we can come up with a plan, then I would be glad to design
> it, and coordinate (and participate on) a team to code it.  (Oh, dear,

No, you've only outlined the _goals_.  You haven't even come remotely
close to outlining an actual plan yet. ;-)

> What made the current distribution/release system work?  What about
> the current package system?  How did these things come to be the vital
> tools they now are?

I or someone else just sat down and coded them.  Sure, I could have
asked for lots of input and general feedback before doing the package
tools or the ports collection, but then we'd still be talking about it
to this day if I had - see the Grand Unified Console Driver project
for a good example of that process gone deeply wrong.

I'm normally a big fan of getting lots of input from the crowd, don't
get me wrong, but there are also many instances where this just plain
doesn't work.  You either get lots of good ideas which totally
outstrip your actual time available (and the package tools are
seriously flawed in many respects, but I didn't have time to addresss
those issues and so had to live with the flaws - it was a very
deliberate trade-off of time over features) or you get a lot of
irrelevant threads as various folks use the discussion to try and
advance their own agendas.  Again, they may be very important agendas
and worthy of further study, but you just can't solve 10 problems at
once with any accuracy - sometimes you have to say "yes, I agree we
need that too, now please shut up so that I can do this other stuff
before the current year is over." :-)

> I'm still a bit unclear.  And since I just stuck my foot in the thick
> of it, then could you please help me see what it needs?

I think you already know that - you outlined some of the points more
than reasonably in your "UNIX goals" message which sparked this.  What
we need now are more down-to-earth ideas.

To draw an analogy, it's as if you have a room full of unwashed
people.  Everyone agrees that they stink badly and really could use a
bath, but there's no running water or soap or any way of bathing them
clearly in evidence.  You then have the choice of either standing
around and saying "my, those folks sure reek, are we all in agreement
that bathing them would be a *really good idea*?" or you can start
talking about where the nearest water is, whether any piping materials
can be obtained and if someone could perhaps locate some empty oil
drums and fill them by hand in the meantime, just to get a few of the
people smelling a bit better.

So, as I mentioned before, what we've been over so many times are the
goals.  We all know we have unwashed people and we all know that
they'd smell a lot better clean.  What we need to handle here is the
problem Mike talked about, where one guy stands up and declares "OK,
by god, I've located some plastic piping and I know where the river
is!  Who will join me in hooking it all up and creating a pipeline?"
[dead silence]

					Jordan