Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2000 19:57:53 +0000
From:      Martin <Martin.Zibert1@guest.arnes.si>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   not ipfw but rc.firewall

Greetings..

First i would like to thank all of you, who helped me with ppp and
thernets cards - it really helped me :-) But problems come and go.. and
one of them came to me again :-)
Here is the problem: i want to enable firewall on my FreeBSD box
(3.4-RELEASE).  I recompiled my kernel and added:
options  IPFIREWALL              #firewall
options  IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE      #print information about
options  IPFILTER                #kernel ipfilter support
options  IPFILTER_LOG            #ipfilter logging
The kernel compiled fine. But when i wanted to configure firewall i
found out that there are 2 firewalls. One is ipfw and the other is in
rc.firewall. If these sounds too newbie please forgive me. When i try to
configure ipfw there are some problems.. if i type "ipfw add deny tcp
from evil.crackers.org to nice.people.org 23" (like in example in
handbook) it doesn't do anything.. if i do "ipfw -at l" it doesn't show
this rule. And if i reboot my box, all of the rules are flushed. Now my
question is, what must i do, so that i'll use only rc.firewall. I even
removed that ipfw things from kernel, and in rc.conf edited a line
"firewall_script="/etc/rc.firewall"" but it doesn't work - when i reboot
it shows a help file of ipfw - wird if you ask me :-) I don't know how
to tell FreeBSD where to look for firewall rule file.
And does any1 know, how to set rules, if you have dynamic IPs ? I don't
know how to set that "external interface", "internal interface" in
rc.firewall etc.
And another thing.. I have a box connected to net trough ethernet card.
So the whole network uses one gateway - so if i want to connect a box to
inet i have to set gw, where i configure ethernet card (during
instalation - Additional network services -> interfaces). And when i
have gws IPs set i just have to configure ethernet card and box will be
connected ? Or are there some other things that i have to do ?
Well if any1 can help me here i'll be very happy.
Thanks..

bye..
Martin

--