Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 18:50:12 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Barnacle Wes <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        pst@shockwave.com (Paul Traina)
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's /var/mail permissions

> Mail locking, to be effective, must be soley performed through the use of
> the flock() call on the mail file itself.
>
> Locking schemes relying on other mechanisms are not effective.
>
> Sorry.

Explain that to all of those people writing MUAs out there.  Or try to go
fix every one of them.  If you want to change the semantics of how
the mail spool works, you have to consider the effect it will have
on all of these (admittedly poortly written) programs.

--
   Wes Peters	| Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late
    Softweyr 	| The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder