Date:      Sat, 07 Oct 2000 19:53:32 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        wash@iconnect.co.ke (Odhiambo Washington)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Radius and Accounting

On 7 Oct 2000 15:50:14 -0400, in sentex.lists.freebsd.isp you wrote:

>I did this yes ;-) for two POPs but we're going to have 2 more POPs and =
>am concerned about it. At current we use PortMaster 2E (old stuff!) and
>Radius on FreeBSD. I also use proxy radius. When you have a single =
radius
>server and you've got to authenticate from more that 3 POPs, I thought
>there would be some concern on authent traffic on the link btn the POPs.
>
>On a single user db, my only worry is that of how I can merge the info =
rqd
>by radius (as in the /etc/raddb/users) into /etc/passwd?? That kinda =
makes
>it difficult..

It doest work that way. For the most part, you will never need to touch =
the
/etc/raddb/users file.  The only time really you need to explicitly =
mention
your customers userids in the /etc/raddb/users file is when you want to
give them static IP address or do something special with a particular =
user
thats different from everyone else. Even then you can setup default rules
based on the UNIX GID they might have.  Everyone else should get done via
the DEFAULT rules in the users file.=20

>Almost what I am looking for!! Any possiblility of sharing those =
scripts,
>please. I must plead because I am not a programmer...I am those network
>engineers promoted to sysadmin ;-) but I'm thinking of embracing perl,
>though I must swear I need more time.

Have a look through the cistron radius mailing list and web page
(http://www.freeradius.org). There you will find pretty well anything and
everything you need to do any types of reporting you want.

>=3D>
>Now that is superb!! Any HOWTOs towards achieving this??? Howto get =
radius
>to write directly to SQL db?? We have 2 SQL programmers who I believe =
will
>assist with some coaxing...

Yes, again, check the mailling list and the Cistron web page.  There are
patches that allow you to send all your accounting info to various SQL
servers.

Also, 2 RADIUS servers, one acting as backup can easily handle a few
thousands of ports across several POPs. There is no need to have a radius
server in each pop. =20

	---Mike

Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)	=09
Sentex Communications Corp,   	=09
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers=20
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)