Date:      Thu, 28 May 1998 01:35:28 +0400
From:      "Mikhail A. Sokolov" <mishania@demos.su>
To:        Jay <jay@oneway.com>
Cc:        Dan Roberts <droberts@gwis.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: apache/freebsd limits on vhost servers

On Wed, May 27, 1998 at 01:00:18AM -0400, Jay wrote:
#  [ . . . ]
# > Anything anyone aware of?  I don't see anything obvious in any

mbuf's lack with some configurations. if I only could specify those, I'd
PR'd it already ;-) well, take your usual skills in increasing every
limit (to start, get enough FD_SETSIZE value) and apply it to victim server.

#     I've successfully run 255 vhosts on a single FreeBSD machine (ips
# ifconfig'ed onto lo0) without any trouble.  We have two machines in that
# configuration right now.  They handle all of the vhosts with no problem at
# all. I have heard tell of people doing more than that, but I've never
# tried.

We have hosts with up to 400 httpd's + some 200-300 ftpd's on each of them -
it's ok. As for what can be maximum, seems like there are no real troubles
on getting more on each poor box given: there was some mail ~year/year and a
half ago, claiming it's possible to get >1024 vh's on one machine.

# Jay K.

--
-mishania