Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:49:20 -0800
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        "Mazen S. Alzogbi" <freebsd@mazenalzogbi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Win modem x FreeBSd

On Tuesday 13 January 2004 09:31 pm, Mazen S. Alzogbi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read the expression "real modem" at many *nix lista/groups but I
> don't know what does it mean. I know the difference between a
> winmodem and a real modem, that is; a real modem doesn't depend on
> the software (and maybe CPU cycles) to do the job. My question, how
> do you I know a real modem from a winmodem when I go purchase it?

The reason they're called "real modems" is because "winmodems" are not
genuine modems. Many necessary functions of the modem (in some cases
the actual signal processing) have been offloaded to software. Even if
you're strictly a Windows user, they're a bad choice.

A good page to start is <http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html>.

In my experience, the best way to ensure that you're getting a real
modem is to get an external modem. These will be more expensive, but
are generally well built, and usable with many home consumer routers
that can support serial modems (have a home network with dialup!).

If you need an internal modem, here are some other tips. These are far
from foolproof, but every bit helps. First, look at the price.
Winmodems are cheaper. You're odds improve greatly if you avoid the
cheaper models. Second, read the information on the packaging. If by
chance the modem lists anything other than Windows and Mac as a
supporting OS, it probably is a real modem. Using the page listed
above, look for terms like "HCF" and avoid these.

Finally, ask! Many clerks at computer stores are clueless, but you can
find some that aren't. Tell them you don't want a winmodem. If they
don't know, ask for their manager. If it seems as if they are just
guessing, or telling you one isn't just to get the sale, verify that
you can return the modem if they were mistaken.

Hope this helps,

David