Date:      Fri, 6 Dec 2002 13:10:27 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        David Rhodus <david@uky.edu>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: backgroud fsck is still locking up system (fwd)

In the last episode (Dec 06), David Rhodus said:
> Why does softupdates not get enabled on / , by default on the
> install?

Softupdates updates on-disk structures in the background, and
background fsck cannot relink unreferenced files into lost+found, so
you run the risk of losing both the original and backup copies of
important files in case of a sudden reboot.  Imagine you edited
/etc/rc.conf, saved it, and 5 seconds later the system panic'ed.
Because the default metadata flush time is 28 seconds, there's a pretty
good chance that neither the new file or the original is in /etc after
a reboot.  I got bit by this three times before I learned my lesson.  I
have disable softupdates on /, and crank the softupdates delays down to
10/11/12 seconds to minimize the risk to my other filesystems. At least
there are /var/backups and /boot/kernel.old which let you recover the
really important files :)

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com