Date:      Fri, 29 Jun 2001 08:53:49 +0900
From:      Michael Westbay <westbay@seaple.icc.ne.jp>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: java ide

Simmons-san wrote:

> > Can anyone recommend a good, solid Java IDE that can be used on FreeBSD?

to which Kincses-san replied:

> Together/J is also a pure java IDE that runs fine under the Sun Linux
> 1.3 JVM.  It takes a fair amount of ram  and cpu.

I second that.  Together/J 5.0 needed one little tweak to get the new license
management thing working - copy everything in $TGH/bin/linux/i686-unknown to
$TGH/bin/freebsd/i386, and away it goes.

I'm using JDK 1.3.1 (1.3.0_0x had problems with my Japanese 106 keyboard).

It seems to me that this is as feature rich an application (with Swing) that
you'll get.  That it holds up (although sluggish at times - as Kincses-san
said, it is rather RAM and CPU intensive) is a testament to the Linuxulator
and JDK 1.3.1's stability therein.

But Sun, if you're listening, don't let that stop you from a native port.
I'd like to see that sluggishness go away with a native (non-Classic) version!

--
Michael Westbay
Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/