Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 01:33:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
Cc:        duhring@charter.net, msmith@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD-STABLE <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Synching my src...

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Michael Robinson wrote:

>Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:
>>This is just the sort of chitchat that you're both supposedly opposed to.
>
>I'm not opposed to chitchat.  I think it's great that all the FreeBSD
>followers have a forum to hang out and socialize about uptimes and their old
>hardware and whatnot.
>
>And freebsd-stable serves that purpose quite well.

Perhaps you should _READ_ the mailing list charters.  freebsd-stable is
not an appropriate place for chitchat, that is what freebsd-chat is for.
This is blatantly obvious to most reading the list, but I must clarify it
for those not in the know.  I would hate for them to take your statement
as an endorsement of chitchat on the freebsd-stable mailing list.  If
you feel that people are chatting beyond the bounds of the mailing list
it is your duty as a responsible member of the FreeBSD community to
bring it to their attention.  If you feel it would embarass them, it is
your option to notify them offlist that they have overstepped the scope
of the mailing list charters.  If they continue with their behavior you
should consult the handbook and notify the appropriate people to get
the situation escalated.  Otherwise, let's all just get along.

Brandon D. Valentine
bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
"Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying