Date:      Sun, 14 Oct 2001 13:04:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: aviplay with 24-bit color depth?

On 14-Oct-2001 Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com> wrote:
>  > OK, I see now that xvinfo shows 16 bits as the highest bits per pixel
>  > format it supports, so apparently it's a limitation of the savage
>  > driver.
>  > :-(
>
> No!  The output from your xvinfo looks perfectly fine.

OK.  One thing (among many) I'm still not clear about, though: is the XVideo
extension automatically loaded, or do I have to specify it in my XF86Config?

> Note that the list of "image formats" is what can be used
> as _input_ to the xvideo extension.  This is not what can
> be oused as actual output to the screen.
>
> In fact, your list seems to be identical to mine.  As I
> wrote, I also have an S3 Savage (MX), and it works fine
> with aviplay and mplayer in 32 bit mode.

I can't seem to get 32-bit mode.  If I use "DefaultDepth 32" in my
XF86Config, I get an error that it's not supported.  Or are you referring
to something else?

> The important thing in the `xvinfo` output is this:
>

>    supported visuals:
>
>      depth 24, visualID 0x21
>
> If you get the same, it _should_ work.

Hmm.  I'm noticing my numbers are just slightly different from yours, but
no idea why (port base, visualID's).  My card is a Savage 4, by the way.

X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
  Adaptor #0: "Savage Streams Engine"
    number of ports: 1
    port base: 43
    operations supported: PutImage
    supported visuals:
      depth 24, visualID 0x22
      depth 24, visualID 0x23
    number of attributes: 5
      "XV_COLORKEY" (range 0 to 16777215)
              client settable attribute
              client gettable attribute (current value is 66046)
      "XV_BRIGHTNESS" (range -128 to 127)
              client settable attribute
              client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
      "XV_CONTRAST" (range 0 to 255)
              client settable attribute
              client gettable attribute (current value is 128)
      "XV_SATURATION" (range 0 to 255)
              client settable attribute
              client gettable attribute (current value is 128)
      "XV_HUE" (range -180 to 180)
              client settable attribute
              client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
    maximum XvImage size: 1024 x 1024

(followed by the previously posted output)

Any idea what's causing the problem or how to fix it?

--
Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>

Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.
                -- Frank Zappa