Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2000 17:17:22 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: _KPOSIX_VERSION=199309L in GENERIC is redundant

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, John Polstra wrote:

> In revision 1.230 of src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC, jkh added:
>
>   options        P1003_1B                #Posix P1003_1B real-time extentions
>   options        _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
>   options        _KPOSIX_VERSION=199309L
>
> But I think the definition of _KPOSIX_VERSION is redundant, because it
> is already the default in src/sys/sys/param.h:

That particular definition is redundant, but we really ought to support
POSIX.1-1996, and this support should not be optional.  The ifdefs are
messy enough when it is non-optional.  It's a historical accident that
some parts of the support (sys/posix4) are controlled by twisty mazes
of options while other, larger parts (vfs_aio) are standard.  sys/posix4
was developed in an optional module which hasn't been committed to
FreeBSD, and twisty options are obviously required to putting some
features in the kernel a proper and some in the module.

Bruce