Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:47:28 -0700
From:      Ted Cabeen <secabeen@pobox.com>
To:        James Godwin <james@organicwire.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ideal mail server: qmail or postfix

James Godwin <james@organicwire.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> We are building small server solution for our clients which run a number of
> services and we are looking at incorporating mail server services.
>
> As a hosting provider we manage their web and email services. Our boxes were
> configured with Sendmail and we have had no need to change. No need fixing
> something which is not broken. :) basically have not had the time to change.
>
> As our company grew we became more familiar with running BSD and aware of
> other alternatives.
>
> I was wondering what mail servers fellow ISP are running. I can't decide
> between postfix or qmail.
>
> Any advantages or disadvantages would be greatly appreciated.

I recently moved a sizeable system from qmail to postfix.  While qmail
is a fine MTA, we were running into its limitations.  The main
objection I have to it is that it's stagnant.  The last official
release was over 5 years ago, and any advances in MTA technology since
then has to be implemented as a patch.  This includes SMTP AUTH, SSL,
SQL aliasing, and many of the common anti-spam tactics.  After a
while, the whole thing gets quite unwieldy, especially when you have
conflicting patches.  We also had large problems with qmail's
"everything goes in the queue" architecture.  A vanilla qmail install
accepts every mail that is sent to it, even those that are to
non-existent users.  No mail is rejected at smtp time.  This means
that the queue is always full of bounce message to non-existent
senders.  Also, when you get hit with a mail bomb, the messages in the
queue end up delaying new incoming messages, even after the mail-bomb
has stopped.  Performance on the queue disk can become a substantial
bottleneck.  Still, it's a fine mailer once you get your mind around
how it works.

We switched to postfix primarily because I wanted a MTA that was under
active development and qmail has limited support for LMTP.  Postfix
does have it's quirks, and Wietse is sometimes less than willing to
add new things to postfix that people want.  However, they do
eventually get added, once Wietse comes up with a system that he
likes.

I've heard good things about Exim and Courier , but I had some
experience with postfix before the changeover, and none with those two
MTAs.

--
Ted Cabeen           http://www.pobox.com/~secabeen            ted@impulse.net
Check Website or Keyserver for PGP/GPG Key BA0349D2         secabeen@pobox.com