Date:      Sun, 8 Oct 2000 11:46:47 +0200
From:      Peter van Dijk <peter@dataloss.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: POSTFIX-- Wietse: tweak and go! --pkg & port: both duds

On Sun, Oct 08, 2000 at 07:02:12AM +0000, attila! wrote:
[snip]

> (o) CAUTION: 'make world' reinstalls 'sendmail' even when
>
> NO_SENDMAIL=YES		# do not build sendmail and related programs
>
>     is included in '/etc/make.conf'; 'make world' may not
>     compile sendmail, but it restores the symbolic link during
>     'make installworld':
>
> 	/usr/sbin/sendmail -> /usr/sbin/mailcap
>
>     which blows away postfix' 'sendmail' interface.
>
>     My alternative was:
>
> 	'cp /usr/sbin/sendmail /usr/sbin/postmail'
>
>     I had written a two step intermediate mail interface some
>     time ago to eliminate the wait for sendmail to do its
>     thing; so, all that was necessary was to change its
>     target and all user mail programs on this network followed
>     right along.

Actually, mailwrapper (I don't know about this mailcap thing, I'm only
running STABLE right now for lack of machines) does this job. Have you
looked at /etc/mail/mailer.conf? The sendmail binary in /usr/sbin has no
relation to sendmail - it's the mailwrapper, which is a good concept.

Otherwise, nice to see such a howto.

Greetz, Peter
--
dataloss networks