Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 1996 10:42:13 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett A. Wollman)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anybody using netns?

> > The mold grew on the shelf where the bread was located.
>
> > The bread has not changed.
>
> Actually, no.  When we brought the bread back from the store, it
> already had a bit of mold on it.  Because we didn't really need the
> bread anyway (it was thrown in as a free gift from the store's
> departing manager), this mold was allowed to grow until it consumed
> the entire loaf before someone noticed it.
>
> > It is the responsibility of those ho caused the shelf to to change to
> > make a place for the bread.
>
> Or decide that it's worthless and throw it out, which is what I'm
> about to do.

You know and I know that the code would be functional today if the
interfaces on which it relies had not been changed out from under it.

This is what I call a partial integration of the new code, and I don't
see how a partial integration which loses functionality can be considered
to be acceptable.

Whether or not that functionality should be optional, and whether or
not it should be maintained is another topic, seperate from any intent
to remove it utterly.

To return to the land of allegory, the new code is an experiment and
throwing away the old code that was not of interest to the integrator
of the new code is tantamount to fudging data on the experiment to
make it prove something other than what it proves when not fudged.

Anyway, this is my last posting on the topic; you're clearly committed
to causing the code to be lost, and thee's really nothing I can do
apart from the attempts I've already made to convince people that
this is a bad idea.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---