Date:      Fri, 02 Oct 1998 17:50:15 -0400
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Graphic Rezidew <rezidew@kemicol.rezidew.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: t-1 from whom?

At 09:49 AM 10/2/98 -0500, Graphic Rezidew wrote:
>Hi, I run a network over my dual channel ISDN connection to do some shell,
>mail, and web-serving. As one would imagine, I am saturating my bandwidth.
>I have decided to get a T-1 and am considering service from AT-WORK (a
>company affiliated with AT-HOME, the cable modem people). The price is
>quite fair $1000/mo for a line that is basicly only restricting me from
>providing dial-up, based on the terms of usage doc.
> The Thing that concerns me is that their network is so NEW...I am
>wondering if they have clean through put to the rest of the internet.
>
>If anyone uses them Please let me know what your experience has been.
>
>NOTE: I am not interested in hearing about how swell your cable modem is.
>      I am not signing up for cable modem service. This will be a real
>      T-1 on a network seperate from AT-HOME.

Note that @home's philosophy is to provide high speed LOCAL access with
no guarantees on internet access. They want to provide libraries of
programs on
the local wire and to allow high speed connectivity between locations with a
ring. Their plans to manage bottlenecks are questionable at best.

Unless the price is a LOT less than a T1 to a service provider I'd pass.

Dennis