Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 17:46:15 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>, vallo@matti.ee, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Deadlock with vinum raid5

On Monday,  3 April 2000 at  7:59:48 +0200, Søren Schmidt wrote:
> It seems Greg Lehey wrote:
>>> Unfortunately I don't have a toy i386 system ready and testet on alpha.
>>> There may be some differences how data corruptions efects on this platform.
>>
>> I found a potentially serious bug in the RAID calculations yesterday:
>> it assumed that sizeof (int) == 4.  I suspect that it would just slow
>> down the calculations, but in any case I've fixed it.
>
> This wont fix it on the i386 where the problem is, and btw I havn't seen
> any commits yet...

No, I was just about to do something when phk changed the interfaces.
I don't have the time to keep chasing him, so I'll wait until we have
a relatively stable situation and then I'll continue.

> Have you tried running a RAID5 on intel HW and have INVARIANTS in
> the kernel as I asked you to ??

No, for the above reason.

> Have you looked at the dumps I've put up that you asked for ??

Yes.  I have some ideas, but before I can continue I need to get my
test machine in a stable state.  It could take a day or two.

Greg