Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 19:43:57 +0400
From:      3APA3A <3APA3A@SECURITY.NNOV.RU>
To:        "~jim" <jjd@QUEBIX.NET>
Cc:        VULN-DEV@SECURITYFOCUS.COM, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Local DoS : RedHat 6.0

Hello ~jim,

Same  results  are  under FreeBSD 3.2 with XFree86 3.3.3.1 and FreeBSD
4.0  with XFree86 3.3.6, so it seems to be common X(Free86 ?) problem.
Since  X  server can be launched via telnet session it's not necessary
to be console user to crash console this way.

P.S.  no  reaction on Ctrl+Alt+Backspace or Ctrl+Alt+del, no X server,
xdm  or  any  other  X  processes  to kill, but host is alive, you can
startx again via telnet to solve problem.

24.05.00 5:45, you wrote: Local DoS : RedHat 6.0;

~> While killing yet another zombie Netscape process, I made the mistake of
~> typing "kill -9 -1 <pid>" as opposed to the normal "kill -9 <pid>."  For
~> obvious reasons, this attempted to kill every process owned by my user
~> and hung the entire system in the process.  (aka. I couldn't even switch
~> to another console to attempt recovery.)  Unfortunately the only way to
~> recover was to "hard boot" the system and run the risk of corrupting my
~> root partition in the process.  (Of course with my luck it corrupted.)

~> I actually noticed this "bug" about a year ago, but since forgot about
~> it.  From what I've experienced, it definitely happens when a user types
~> "kill -9 -1" while in RedHat 6.0's Gnome/Enlightenment or Afterstep,
~> however I haven't tested any other window managers or versions of Linux.

/3APA3A
http://www.security.nnov.ru