Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 2010 14:23:51 -0500
From:      Rick N <solarux@hotmail.com>
To:        <emailrob@emailrob.com>, <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: LinuxBSDos.com article

> Date: Fri=2C 19 Feb 2010 17:27:33 +0000

> From: emailrob@emailrob.com
> To: freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: LinuxBSDos.com article
>=20
> i completely sympathize with all of those who mourn the loss of a favored=
=2C albeit esoteric=2C thingy.
> it is particularly sad when that thingy was wildly popular=2C back in the=
 before_time.
>=20
> while not directly related to freebsd=2C at --this-- time=2C
>    i observe that the=2C formerly universal=2C rs_232 serial_port is no_l=
onger always included on motherboards.
>=20
> i am fond of the 908_series of embedded_controllers from freescale [ nee =
motorola ].
> to program the flash_rom=2C
>    i could spend several_hundred dollars on a dedicated appliance=2C
>    which may_or_may_not program all of the devices which interest me.
> it may not support future devices=3B if it breaks=2C i can't fix it.
>=20
> on the other_hand=2C i can roll_my_own.
> this costs a_few_tens of dollars=2C applies to any device using this inte=
rface and i can fix it
>    [ it should be noted that the things that i build tend to not_break=2C=
 because i am the repair_man ].
> the simplest approach requires an easily_programmed computer with a rs_23=
2 port.
>=20
> the interface is a single pin.
> the pin used varies from part to part=2C which is why the appliance may n=
ot support all devices.
> i need half_duplex=2C 9600 bps=2C 8 bits=2C no parity=2C 1 stop_bit.
> converting half_duplex to full_duplex is easy.
> i need complementary 12_ to 15_volt supplies=2C which are downright cheap=
.
> this is child's_play.
>=20
> [ for those who find an 8_bit cpu to be interesting=2C
>      a web_site page with a link to a pdf [ 2.6 mb ] of the data_sheet fo=
>      a representative and particularly_popular member of the series=2C th=
e 908qy4=2C
>      may be found here:
>=20
>          http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=
=3DHC08Q&tab=3DDocumentation_Tab&pspll=3D1&nodeId=3D01624684497663&Selected=
Asset=3DDocumentation&ProdMetaId=3DPID/DC/HC08Q&fromPSP=3Dtrue&assetLockedF=
orNavigation=3Dtrue&componentId=3D2&leftNavCode=3D1&pageSize=3D25&Documenta=
tion=3DDocumentation/00610Ksd1nd%60%60Data%20Sheets
>=20
> ]
>=20
> on the freebsd side=2C i need to dissect the man_pages so that i can cont=
rol the 16550.
> the authors of these pages=2C while well_meaning=2C considered rs_232 as =
a means of
>    talking to a modem    [       a full_featured appliance ] or
>    talking to a terminal [ also=2C a full_featured appliance ].
> i found myself reading between the lines=2C frequently.
>=20
> rs_232 works very well
>    for short messages=2C
>    over short distances=2C
>    in environments of up_to_moderate noise=2C
>    using inexpensive components.
> for these reasons=2C it --will-- be made illegal=3B de_facto=2C if not de=
_jure.
>=20
> it may be several years [ ten ? ]=2C but=2C sooner_or_later=2C
>    freebsd will drop support for and/or remove the capability of implemen=
ting=2C
>    what are coming to be called=2C the "legacy" serial and parallel ports=
=2C
>    because the general_public will not be using them.
> i will mourn this=2C but=2C i will understand=2C because
>    freebsd_people are=2C statistically=2C software_people=2C not hardware=
_people.
> i will find a work_around=2C
>    either by implementing the new interface or by converting between new =
and old.
> as long as i have six addressable bits whose level i can flip individuall=
y [ 3 out and 3 in ]=2C
>    i can rig a full_duplex link that runs as fast as the slower end_point=
 hardware.
>=20
> apparently [ from what i read ]=2C statistically=2C freebsd_people are no=
t musicians=2C either.
> neither am i=3B although i --did-- take violin lessons as a youngster.
> so=2C make mine bob wills or jascha heifetx=2C please.
>=20
> rob

 Ya=2C I agree=2C FreeBSD has always been heavy in Software Development. ma=
ny teeth have been sharpened with it for the best products=2C aka the new A=
pple's.
 Its too bad 'cause obviously=2C hardware development in tandem with FreeBS=
D would...oops=2C well=2C... its commercially already here=2C in some deriv=
ative=2C called MacOS "X" (both HW and SW)-and that in itself is a testamen=
t to the power of BSD (and irs Licensing scheme) as well?=20

 No market=2C then not much investment money from the rest of the hardware =
industry=2C unfortunatley. an that is too bad.

 so Kudos to the folks at PC-BSD for keeping FreeBSD alive 'n well for all =
the NOT so "uber-G33ks"
=3B)

 		 	   		 =20
Check your Hotmail from your phone.