Date:      Mon, 13 May 1996 19:20:14 +0000 ()
From:      Justin Viiret <justin@cyburbia.net.au>
To:        PETER STUBBS <PETERS@staidan.qld.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: harvest cached configuration question

On Mon, 13 May 1996, PETER STUBBS wrote:

> I configured cached as a cache accelerator, but it gave an error when
> I used it. The error said that the request was in the wrong format.
> When I make it a proxy accelerator, it works fine, but doesn't pass
> the requests that aren't in the cache to CERN, it just goes & fetches
> them by itself. It does go to CERN only if the requested info is on
> the local server.

If you configure it both as a proxy and as an http accelerator, you need
to set your httpd to a different port; otherwise things get a little
cofused :) To force the cache to talk to CERN only and not fetch objects
itself, use the inside_firewall <your_domain> option in the config... all
objects not matching the criteria get passed to the parent cache.

> The other problem is that it clears out its cache when it's
> restarted. I'd *much* rather keep the cached info.

Erm... sounds like an old version; pick up a new one, the newest versions
keep their data between restarts. You might also want to look at Squid,
which is a new cached developed from the harvest cached source... it's at
http://www.nlanr.net/Squid/ if I remember correctly.

| Justin Viiret                       Cyburbia Network Services             |
| justin@cyburbia.bns.com.au          Co-sysadmin                           |
| http://cyburbia.bns.com.au/~justin  A96 Music Competition (dis)Organiser  |
 \------------------[Relax, it's only ones and zeroes.]--------------------/