Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 1996 18:13:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kim Culhan <kimc@w8hd.org>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Sujal Patel <smpatel@umiacs.umd.edu>, multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: RealAudio on FreeBSD

On Sun, 6 Oct 1996, Amancio Hasty wrote:

> Also Kim if you use the server which I send you , you shall be able
> to  send audio with your current sound driver. Just get an mbone
> tunnel and start broadcasting audio, video and text 8)

Ok very good, I'll try that soon.

> As for vat:
>
> Wait a little longer , I had a problem over here with my version of
> vat which was triggered by the sound driver. So far vat seems to work
> okay. For instance, I was listening to CBC news last night. The only
> gotcha is that sometimes vat gets behind and the sound gets distorted.
> It is a little difficult to fix because the sound buffering is setup
> for 20ms 8)

It sounds like you're getting pretty close, how much buffering do you
need?

Did you get any good info from the manufacturer of the chip in the GUS
which does the gain adjust?

This was not a big thing with the old GUS except that with the local
mic audio routed internally through to the line outs and the mic gain
running wide-open all the time it made for lots of feedback.

> The other serious outstanding issue is that playing midi files can
> crash a system and I am trying to analyze a core dump over here.
> Once, I get over this last crash I will release a new gus pnp driver.

Great, I know there are many FreeBSD users who will appreciate that.

kim

--
kimc@w8hd.org