Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 00:15:50 -0600
From:      David Deaven <deaven@execpc.com>
To:        Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Backup - opinions wanted

I have been using a CDRW drive, and am very happy.  My system requires 5 CDs
for a level 0 backup (full backup), so it is about 5 * 650Mb ~ 3.2Gb.  I run a
daily perl script via periodic(8) which backs up unix filesystems (with
dump(8)) and msdos filesystems (with tar(1) with timestamps), and do level 0,
1, and 2 backups.  The level 1 and 2 backups go daily,  I start a fresh CD
with a level 1 and keep adding level 2 backups in multisession tracks (use
mkisofs(1) and cdrecord(1)), until the level 1 backups are requiring
200-300Mb, then it's time for another level 0, done manually.  All CD data
written gets verified by the script.

Works like a charm.  So, unless you have a really big system, do not discount
CDRW drives.  they are cheap and reliable these days, and you can use them for
other cool stuff besides backups, too.