Date:      Sun, 09 Mar 2003 00:34:56 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Frans-Jan v. Steenbeek" <FST777@phreaker.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I'm curious :-)

I use a 486DX4 running at 133MHz with 32 Megs RAM. I'm using it with FreeBSD
right now to type my mail. I've tried several Linux-distro's on this
machine in the past and NONE of them worked as good as FreeBSD works now
(Vector-Linux came close...). Everything goes more or less smooth
(off-course I can't do too much regarding internet), no sudden
program-kills so far, no reboots required EVER.

On Sat, 8 Mar 2003, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 14:36:40 -0500
> To: Luis Neves <lneves@netcabo.pt>
> From: Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
> Subject: Re: I'm curious :-)
>
> Luis Neves wrote:
> > On Saturday 08 March 2003 18:40, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> > > It depends on how much CPU power and RAM you have, and how much your
> > > processes are consuming.
> >
> > Currently I have a AthlonXP 1700 and ~500M of RAM.
>
> I think you'll have to try rather hard to stress that out -- under
> normal use even windows should do fine :)
>
> I have a Celeron 800 MHz with 128 MB RAM, and that already works fine
> except under rather extreme conditions.
>
> I do find however that heavy disk activity slows things down -- eg, X
> freezes for a second or two if I'm doing "make clean" in a large port
> with lots of dependencies, or untarring a very large file (like the
> mozilla source).

tcGB <>< Fi-Ji ><>