Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 2008 23:09:56 +0000
From:      scott.marshall@mail.com
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Currently available internal PCI hardware modems?

As copiously written elsewhere, FreeBSD works best with hardware modems, no=
t WinModems / LinModems.

I need to fit an internal PCI fax/modem (for various reasons an external mo=
dem is not an option, so sorry if you were about to suggest that).

However, I'm having difficulty identifying which internal modems are genuin=
e hardware modems.=A0 Internet searches and manufacturers' specifications a=
re inconclusive (PCI cards that are called "hardware" modems turn out not t=
o be, or are no longer available, etc).=A0 Contacting manufacturers' tech s=
upport either yields no reply, or again inconclusive responses.

So, my question please is: can anyone provide details (eg manufacturer, mod=
el number, retailer) of any genuine hardware PCI fax/modems, that are curre=
ntly available (March 2008), and preferably available in UK.=A0 If you have=
 actually used one with FreeBSD and can confirm that it works, that would b=
e even better!=A0 (NB the 'fax' part of fax/modem is important, as that's a=
ctually the main reason for needing it!)

(Or if there is a webpage somewhere with this info already, a link to it wo=
uld be great!  As above, my googling (and searching of this mailing list) h=
asn't yielded anything definitive)

[To clarify: by "hardware" PCI modem, I mean a PCI card that has all modem =
control functions on the card, and requires no software control at the mode=
m level from the computer.=A0 To the computer and o/s, the card just looks =
like a 'tty' serial port, exactly the same as a normal serial port to which=
 an external modem would be connected (except in this case the modem is emb=
edded in the PCI card).=A0 So one just runs modem/fax/whatever applications=
 (or even a raw terminal emulator!) that send 'AT' commands etc to this por=
t].

Many thanks for any help,
Scott