Date:      Wed, 08 Sep 1999 22:16:14 +0000
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   winbook & FreeBSD

	I've recently been given the go ahead to look for a couple of notebooks
for work.  Since I'd like to be able to dual boot FreeBSD on one I'm
interested in finding out what works and what doesn't with 3.2 ( or 3.3
since it's coming out soon ).

	After spending sometime looking at different notebooks on the web I'm
starting to lean towards Winbook ( I know, isn't the name ironic since I
want it to run FreeBSD? ), specifically :

WinBook XL2

My main concerns of course are : Video, Network, Modem and Sound ( in
that order ).

The specs for the machine can be found at :

http://www.winbook.com/xl2400128.html

I think the video will probably be ok, but here's my choice of NIC's
from winbook :

AmbiCom 10bT Network Card
3COM 10 Mbps LAN PC Card
AmbiCom XL/XLi/XL2 10/100bT CardBus
3COM XL/XLi/XL2 10/100bT LAN CardBus

My understanding was that FreeBSD doesn't support cardbus, so the last
two are out.  What about the 3COM 10Mb, it doesn't say what the chipset
is so it's not much to go on.

Does anyone else know if the stuff from Winbook will work OK with
FreeBSD?

Another question would be, if you had your choice of any notebook to run
FreeBSD on, what would you pick?  ( The idea being, which notebooks
support FreeBSD the best. )

Thanks.

--

Joseph Scott