Date:      Thu, 03 Sep 1998 16:06:40 +0000
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Yoav Cohen-Sivan <ycs@netvision.net.il>
Cc:        eivind@yes.no, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG

> Eivind Eklund wrote:
> >
> > The problem with this is the same as requiring subscriptions for
> > posting at all - a lot of us are subscribed through different accounts
> > than we post from (I, for instance, am subscribed through my
> > FreeBSD.ORG account except for the lists where I made a mistake), and
> > it is not very practical to have to post through those addresses.
>
> I can see two solutions:
>
> 1) Resubscribe using your regular posting address. It is an
> inconvenience, but a small _one-time_ inconvenience to pay for clean
> lists.

In many cases it's actually completely infeasible.

> 2) Add an option, so that when one subscribes he can list a set of
> e-mail addresses he'll use for posting.

This doesn't work either.

> I have no idea how feasible #2 is, it sure sounds like a load on the
> mailing list server. It seems to me #1 is ideal. Out of curiosity, why
> would someone consciously subscribe from an address he doesn't use? Do
> you use aaa@bbb to post, but read from ccc@ddd? How many people do this
> routinely?

Me, for starters.  I probably have half a dozen places I send from,
although mail is faked to look like it comes from yet another place, but
all my subscriptions are to a third.

This sort of setup is pretty common for anyone that moves around much.

Also, mandating subscriptions and a cooling-off period makes it
impossible to refer someone from one list to another or from completely
outside the group.  What you're proposing is nothing new, and while it
might promise some small noise reduction it damages a number of
important facets of the current structure that are very useful.