Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 11:45:51 -0500
From:      "Lawrence Hughes" <Lawrence.Hughes@mindspring.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Pentium II install

hmmmm.... so many fascinating things to sort out.... where to begin...

1. The Pentium II does in fact have two internal processors, one for
     Integer operations, one for Floating Point. These two units used
     to be sold independently (e.g. 386/387) but converged about the
     time of the i486.

2. Both the Integer unit and FP unit are used by most software today,
    Windows or otherwise. Very old fossil software might emulate the
    FP stuff in software, assuming no FP processor was present, but
    most chips made in the last few years include FP hardware.

3. There may be some x86 variants with multiple internal integer
     functional units, to pass the one instruction/clock cycle limit, I'm
     not sure (haven't kept THAT close track of x86 lately). Even if
     they do, this is completely internal, and appears to be a single
     processor to the programmer (parallelism and scheduling is
     handled by something called a "stunt box" - and first showed
     up in Seymour Cray's CDC 6000 series computers.) Pretty
     much transparent to software (ok, you can play a few games
     to help out the stunt box for maximum parallelism - typically
    done by ordering machine instructions in the last phase of
    compiler optimization passes).

4. The PII can definitely be built in parallel configurations - with
     multiple chips - dual PII boards are readily available, and
     not even that outrageously expensive today. They can be
     wired for "twice the bang" or fault tolerant "let's both do the
     same thing, and recover if we don't agree" mode

5. With the traditional dual CPU (or quad, 6x, 8x, which takes
     somewhat more complex motherboards/backplanes), you
     can get fairly linear scaling of performance with added
     CPUs. Maybe 3.5X a 1 CPU system with 4 CPUs.

6. To harvest the performance possible on a SMP (Symmetric
     Multi Processor), your OS needs to support multi process
     correctly (can schedule any process on any available CPU)
     and/or multi-threading. Windows NT can do both. FreeBSD
     3.0 supports allocating processes across multiple CPUs.
     (anyone happen to know if the FreeBSD pThreads supports
     SMP in 3.0, to spread threads in a single process across
     multiple CPUs?)

7. Win9x (slightly rewarmed barely 32-bit DOS and Win3.1)
     can't do much of anything with additional CPUs. Nor can
    anything from MS prior to those.

Verstehe?