Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 13:26:51 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Danny J. Zerkel" <dzerkel@columbus.rr.com>
Cc:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Do we still need portmap(8)?

"Danny J. Zerkel" wrote:
> Sigh...  there should be a file listing incompatible files that is part of
> the source tree.  Every file in this list would be deleted as a pre-install
> step.  Perl would not have been in this list because it was not
> incompatible.  But the old C++ headers clearly were.  There have
> no doubt been other instances of incompatible files in the installation
> or examples of files moving.  It will happen to any software system
> and should be accounted for in the installation mechanism.

1)	It has to be a post-install, in case the install fails,
	part way through.

2)	It has to be optional: the user has to specifically ask
	for the deletion; that way, most of us can ignore it.

3)	Feel free to get together with Warner Losh on this, and
	submit the code.

> > Personally, I suggest a file "/etc/BUILD" be created to contain
> > the CVS tag and a timestamp indicating the checkout time, created
> > as part of the build process (maybe the tag from the output of a
> > "CVS stat" on the Makefile in /usr/src, processed to deal with
> > sticky tags, and the date stamp on the file itself, otherwise).
>
> Yuck.  Let's NOT not use CVS (Cantakerous Version Scrambler) tags.

Feel free to use whatever you want, so long as the value can be
used as an input to a process which will result in the binaries
for the system being recreated identically, except for date stamps.
8-).

-- Terry