Date:      Fri, 06 Aug 1999 11:17:45 -0400
From:      Martin <marrandy@tampabay.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2 queries

Hello Chris !

Chris Cook wrote:

> Martin wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone :)
>
> Hello <grin>.
>

> > I'm looking into the ISP/ hositing business and have had mail servers, web
> > servers, news server and firewall NAT/IP masquerading going on an internal
> > network.
>
> Be prepared... it's not as glamourous as it seems ; )
>
> > I have two queries though as I think I'm missing something.
> >
> > 1)   If you can route traffic through a gateway machine, what is the
> > requirement for a router ?  More IP's ? faster routing ?
> >      a)   Has anyone tried the Linux router project software ?
>
> The requirement for a router?  I lost you here.

Everything I have read talks about the need for a router, eg. cisco or
whatever, and it's pretty much left like that.

I'm at the stage where I'm confident about security and running the DNS, mail,
web, ftp and news servers, it's now the pipe to the internet, the pipe from the
customers, and log-in control and billing.

I've heard that co-locating at the central office and interfacing to the
internet and from the customers off the switch is possible and probably the
best way to go.

Any opinions ?

Regards...Martin